Life Group Questions
Falling Asleep in Church
1. Read through Acts 20:1-12. What stuck out to you? What spoke to you during the message on Sunday?
2. After three years, Paul had to leave Ephesus (Acts 20:1). How can we serve the Lord, like Paul, in a way that we know we are expendable and replaceable?
3. Why is it wrong to think we might “own” a ministry, or that someone could not do better than us? Consider and discuss 1 Corinthians 3:5-7 │ What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. 7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.
4. A plot was made for Paul’s life (Acts 20:3). How does the devil attack the Christian? Consider and discuss 1 Peter 5:8 │ Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
5. Sometimes the pressure and trials of the Christian life makes us change our plans. Why is it that we as Christians can rest in God’s providence? Consider and discuss Proverbs 16:9 │ The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.
6. Luke lists seven representatives from Paul’s church plants (Acts 20:4-6). Who are some people that you have seen turn from their sins to Christ for salvation? How does it help you grow to see people coming to Christ before your eyes?
7. Paul tells the story of a young man named Eutychus who falls out of a window (Acts 20:7-12). The service has several elements that we still use today. They met on the Lord’s day. How important is it to meet together each Sunday? Consider and discuss Hebrews 10:24-25 │ Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
8. In their service they enjoyed the Lord’s supper (Acts 20:7). Why is the Lord’s table significant? What is the meaning of the Lord’s supper?
9. Eutychus of course was raised from the dead by Paul, and all were comforted (Acts 20:10-12). What are some ways that we too fall asleep as Christians? What are ways that we can stay alert and awake as Christians?
10. Talk about a time of awakening and revival in your own life and share it with your life group.
(1) Pray for your leaders and your church family as we try to live life fully, and help each other to be alert and awake in the Christian life.
(2) Pray through Hebrews 10:24-25 │ Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.